Terms and Conditions
This is a Summary of some of the Rental Conditions. For full details, refer to the full Rental Agreement below or on pickup.
All drivers should hold a full driver's licence for three years or longer. A current acceptable overseas, New Zealand or International licence is required from all intending drivers. Drivers aged between 18 and 21years will incur a $3000 insurance excess. Additional drivers are encouraged and are at no extra cost.
INSURANCE AND BOND
Our insurance company requires us to hold a $2000 bond to cover the standard insurance excess of $2000. We do this by holding your credit card details (not put through) until the safe return of the car.
Waiver - The standard excess can be reduced down to $250 for an extra $10 per day, by drivers over 25 years. This waiver applies for the first accident only of any hire.
The excess for accidents where the driver is prosecuted is $3000. The above waiver, if taken, does not apply to these accidents.
No deposit is required, unlike most other operators, but a valid credit card is required to confirm your booking.
CANCELLATION AND “NO SHOWS”
If a booking is cancelled within the 5 day period before the start of the hire, a charge of 20% of the hire cost will be taken. We reserve the right to charge a 5 day hire fee for when a “No Show” occurs, after a confirmed booking.
There are no refunds for early returns within 5 days of the end of the hire. On longer hires the daily rate may be recalculated.
Goods and Services Tax (GST) is included in all daily car hire prices and excess amounts, which are shown in NZ Dollars.
Full Rental Agreement below
An agreement made between the owner and the hirer whose particulars are entered, it is hereby agreed as follows:
1. The owner will let and the hirer will take on hire the following motor vehicle, described in this agreement.
DURATION OF HIRE
2. The term of hire shall be for the period as described overleaf.
PERSONS WHO MAY DRIVE THIS VEHICLE
3. The vehicle may be driven during the period of hire only by persons described in this agreement and only if they hold a current driver's licence appropriate for the vehicle at the time when they are driving the vehicle.
PAYMENTS BY HIRER
4. The hirer shall pay to the owner as payment for the hire of the vehicle for the period specified in clause 2 of this agreement the hire charge at the rate referred to overleaf.
5. As part of the payment referred to in clause 4 of this agreement, the hirer shall pay to the owner the insurance charge at the rate referred to overleaf for the insurance cover set out in clause 10 of this agreement.
6. The hirer shall pay for all petrol or other fuel (but not oil) used in the vehicle during the period of hire.
7. The hirer shall ensure that-
- a. The water in the radiator and battery of the vehicle is maintained at the proper level.
- b. The oil in the vehicle is maintained at the proper level.
- c. The tyres are maintained at their proper pressure. Punctures and tyre damage are the liability of the hirer.
8. The hirer shall ensure that all reasonable care is taken in handling and parking the vehicle and that it is left securely locked when not in use.
9. Subject to the exclusions set out below, the hirer and any driver authorised to drive the vehicle is fully indemnified in respect of any liability he might have to the owner is respect of the loss of or damage to the vehicle and its accessories and spare parts and any consequential loss of revenue or other expenses of the owner, including towing and salvage costs associated with the recovery of the vehicle and its accessories and spare parts.
Subject to the exclusions set out below, the hirer and any driver authorised to drive the vehicle is indemnified to the extent of $2,000,000 in respect of any liability he might have for damage to any property (including injury to any animal) belonging to any other person and arising out of the use of the vehicle.
10. The indemnities referred to above shall not apply where the damage, injury, or loss arises when:
a. The driver of the vehicle is under the influence of alcohol or any drug that affects his ability to drive the vehicle.
b. The vehicle is in an unsafe or unroadworthy condition that arose during the course of the hire and that caused or contributed to the damage or loss, and the hirer or driver was aware or ought to have been aware of the unsafe or unroadworthy condition of the vehicle.
c. The vehicle is operated in any race, speed test, rally, or contest.
d. The hirer is not a body corporate or department of State and the vehicle is driven by any person not named in clause 3 of the agreement.
e. The vehicle is driven by any person who at the time when he drives the vehicle is disqualified from holding or has never held a driver's licence appropriate for that vehicle.
f. The vehicle is willfully or recklessly damaged by the hirer or any other person named on the authorised driver's list or driving the vehicle under the authority of the hirer, or is lost as a result of the willful or reckless behaviors of the hirer or any such person.
g. Dangerous or Careless driving: If the driver is issued with an infringement notice for dangerous or careless driving or there is any evidence of such driving, the insurance cover will become null and void. The hirer will be responsible for any consequential damage.
h. The vehicle is operated on any beaches or the following road: Skippers Road and any other private, 4WD or other road unsuitable for the vehicle, or anywhere in the North Island (without prior consultation).
It is agreed between the owner and the hirer that Section 11 of the Insurance law Reform Act 1977 shall apply with respect to the above exclusions as if this clause constituted a contract of insurance.
REJECTION OF INSURANCE
11. The hirer may not reject the insurance cover provided by the owner.
12. The hirer acknowledges that he shall be liable in respect of the first $2000 including the Goods and Services Tax of the damage or loss referred to in the insurance cover specified in this clause. If the hirer is aged between 18 and 21 years, the excess payable is $3000.
13. The owner shall supply the vehicle in safe and roadworthy condition. The owner shall be responsible for all ordinary and extraordinary costs of running the vehicle during the term of hire except to the extent that by the terms of this agreement those costs are payable by the hirer.
NOTE: By virtue of clause 6 of this agreement, the cost of petrol and other fuel, but not oil, used during the term of the hire is the responsibility of the hirer.
The vehicle’s owners and agents liability shall not exceed the daily rate paid for the hire. The hirer is advised to seek general travel insurance to cover additional costs.
MECHANICAL REPAIRS AND ACCIDENTS
14. If the vehicle is damaged or requires repair or salvage, whether because of an accident or breakdown, the hirer shall advise the owner of the full circumstances by telephone as soon as practicable.
The hirer is advised to immediately photograph all vehicles at the accident scene and collect all information from drivers and witnesses.
15. The hirer shall not arrange or undertake any repairs or salvage without the authority of the owner except to the extent that the repairs or salvage are necessary to prevent further damage to the vehicle or to other property. The hirer may be liable for the recovery of the damaged vehicle.
16. The hirer shall ensure that no person shall interfere with the distance recorder or speedometer, or, except in an emergency, any part of the engine, transmission, braking, or suspension systems of the vehicle.
17. In the advent of a mechanical breakdown, (excluding tyres and windscreens), not caused by the hirer, the owner guarantees to have the problem resolved, or provide a replacement vehicle within 24 hours of being advised, otherwise the owner will provide a full refund of the total hire.
USE OF THE VEHICLE
18. The hirer shall not use or permit the vehicle for reward, unless the vehicle is hired with the knowledge of the owner for use in a passenger service licensed under Part VII of the Transport Act 1962 or exempted from licensing under that Act.
19. The hirer shall not-
a. Sublet or hire the vehicle to any other person.
b. Permit the vehicle to be operated outside his authority.
c. Operate the vehicle, or permit it to be operated, in circumstances that constitute an offence by the driver against section 58 of the Transport Act 1962 (which relates to driving or attempting to drive with excess breath or blood alcohol or under the influence of drink or drug).
d. Operate the vehicle or permit it to be operated in any race, speed test, rally or contest.
e. Operate the vehicle or permit it to be operated to propel or tow any other vehicle.
f. Operate the vehicle or permit it to be operated in breach of the Transport Act 1962, the Traffic Regulations 1976, or any other Act, regulations, or bylaws relating to road traffic.
g. Operate the vehicle or permit it to be operated for the transport of more than the number of passengers or more than the weight of goods specified in the certificate of loading for the vehicle.
h. Drive or permit the vehicle to be driven by any person if at the time of his driving the vehicle the hirer or other person is not the holder of a current driver's licence appropriate for the vehicle.
RETURN OF VEHICLE
20. The hirer shall at or before the expiry of the term of hire, deliver the vehicle to the owners’ place specified herein, or as subsequently agreed with the owner, or obtain the owner’s consent to the extension of the hire. The hirer is liable for all costs including ferry fees incurred in transporting the vehicle back to the place specified. There are no refunds for early returns, within 5 days of the end of the hire .
IMMEDIATE RETURN OF VEHICLE WHERE DEFAULT OR DAMAGE
21. The owner shall have the right to terminate the hiring and take immediate possession of the vehicle if the hirer fails to comply with any of the terms of this agreement, or if the vehicle is damaged. A refund of the remaining days hire shall be at the owner's discretion. The termination of the hiring under the authority of this clause shall be without prejudice to the other rights of the owner and the rights of the hirer under this agreement or otherwise.